Sunday 26 August 2012

FW Worlds last report

On the last day of competition nobody expected a race ( even Bruno :) ) , because forecast was showing nothing.
But after a few hours of waiting, the wind started picking up. We were called out on the water. Unfortunately while my sail was lying rigged on the grass somebody might have stepped on it and broke one of the battens.
Anyway, when I sailed the wind was about 12 knots strong and I was planning quite fast. Even I have made a terrible start, - Ross Williams punked me ( I was going 50 meters after him on the starting line on starboard tack, but when there was 30sec left he accelerated went to the pin end made gybe and started on port while I got stuck on starboard). After the start I catched up a few places, but then the started going down. What was unusual for me that I became much slower and hardly could pump out. A lot of people passed me. And at the downwind mark I was in the LAST 10. In the middle of second upwind I suddenly saw that my boom is 10cm lower than normally - I forgot to check it - *****. I moved it up, but it was too late, the wind was 7-8 knots at that moment and Steve Allen had finished 5 minutes ago. Even though I tried, I didn't finished in time limit. What can I say - I was really stupid.
Result - 46th overall, 4th Lithuanian and 3rd youth. A result that I am not proud of. What happened?
Qualification round was more or less ok - I was 36th after that. Although I could have done better, I was looking to improve the result in Gold fleet races.
Unfortunatelly weather conditions weren't favorable for me. On thursday we got light-medium wind, but 2 meters high wave was making things difficult. Nevertheless I finished in respectable 29th and 35th position. I was looking forward to do even better after the break, but something was changed in me. I felt down in both of the races. When you are in the gold fleet such mistake is critical. I finished in 40+ position and the game was over for me.
Nevertheless I learned a lot in this competition. I realized that I need to improve my performance in wavy conditions, and I also need to improve my starts, - especialy I have to learn port tack starts.
About others:
First of all congratulation to overall winners- Ross, Pont and especially Steve who spend a lot of time talking to me about different aspects of windsurfing - Thanks.
I also want to thanks Maciek POL 23 -who has explained some of the technical stuff, Vincent GER 122 who helped me practise my poor German and all other guys for sharing their knowledge.
Special congratulations for Roland EST 36 - who overtook me in the youth division for the first time ( we've been fighting a lot in Baltic Cups). Great job Roland, you really fast in waves. Of course I can't forget Jaciek - he took first place in youth, quite easy. I hope the standings on podium will change in Malcesine, Garda where JYM Worls will take place soon.
And last but not least congratulations and thanks for all Lithuanian team. For the first of them Juozas LTU 14 - he showed that he is good not only on RS:X. I promise you harder competition next time. Mantas and Gedas who overtook in the Gold fleet and Giedrius LTU 11 who fought hard to get into the Gold fleet.
And of course Audrius LTU 717 who repaired my batten.

P.S.
I almost forgot to tell you about my salesman skills. On the last day I found and helped to buy: Gaastra Vapor 12 proto 2013+ mast for Juozas LTU 14 - he took Arnon's sail and Ross' mast; Paulius LTU 718 choose Gaastra Vapor 11 proto 2013 from Ross.
Earlier this year I helped Arnas LTU 191 to buy former Arnon's sail - Gaastra Vapor 11 proto 2012.

1 comment:

  1. Čia 2013+ tai 2014 metų burė? Tai plaukė su 2015 m. burėmis. Jų pardavimui dar nebuvo?

    ReplyDelete