Wednesday 29 August 2012

FW JYM Worlds

Ciao tutti,
I am here in Italy, on the wonderful coast of Lake Garda in amazing town called Malcesine.
Lake Garda has always been one of my favorite windsurfing spots. And I have always dreamed to race Formula here. This year my dream came true in quite important apearence - Juniors Youths and Masters World Championship.

I came here three days ago and I have sailed  here every day. The south wind - ORA, - which is blowing in the afternoon, is slightly lighter than in Torbole, but North wind called Peller seems to be stronger, although I was too lazy to get up early in the morning.

The race started today, with opening ceremony and skippers meeting combined to one. After some time of waiting we were called out on the water. Then you have to rig your sail very fast because it is imposible to leave it rigged on the sun as the mast would heat up so quickly, and it can snap easily.

The wind was super light, but the jury gave the start for the race. We are racing in two seperate fleets - youth and masters. Youth have started first. I choose to start near the pin end.  I got away clear and was going really good. After the tack me and Jaciek POL 013 got into the lead. We were almoust at the upwind mark, when jury canceled the race due to light wind, although it has not changed from the start. Actually there was more wind at Malcesine coast, but jury threw out the course in the middle of the lake.
We were send back to the shore, for SOME reason, perhaps because the  Race Comitee was taking their lunch break at local restorant.
After 1 or 2 hours they went back on the course and slowly started moving it to windier place. After some time more we started racing.
The starting line was very short this time - just about 20 sec. To take into account that there were 30 sailors and that the wind was about 10 knots, you can imagine that it was freaking hard to get a good start. Luckily I took a great position and started in the middle of line with clear air ( kamstuko starta panaudojau, bet nenoriu, kad konkurentai tai zinotu :) ).
I was leading the race from the start, came first to the upwind mark, still was first at bottom mark - but Jaciek came much closer to me than he was at the top mark. He made some magic tricks (or got a great lift), and after the first tack was straight on my heals. I took a better layline to the top mark and was 10 meters in front of Polish star. I knew that he is a bit faster than me, I was doing everything I could and after two gybes was still in front of him. But then I decided to make two more gybes to be sure to get to the mark, while Jaciek took the risk and went for one - he won the race, I was second.
On the second race I got the same good start, while Jaciek didn't. Other guys were not as fast as him and again I was leading all the race, this time to the finish. Finally I got a bullet.
Now I am in first place overall with 3 points. Jaciek is second with 5, while Mathias BRA 767 is third with 7 points. My good friend Roland EST 36 is in 4th or 5th place.

No comments:

Post a Comment