Thursday 30 August 2012

FW JYM Worlds Day 2

Today we started veeery early. Skippers meeting at 7.20 means that you have to wake up before 7.00 even if you live 5 minutes away.
Luckily the wind was very good ( about 15 knots ) in the morning and Race Officers managed to make 3 races for both fleets.
Unfortunately, but I crashed straight away on the first start. I was going about 15 meters below the starting line and 5 seconds before the start I started going up. But behind and over me there was a Latvian guy who was afraid of making fallstart and kept sailing along the line. When I saw him it was to late to go down again for me, so I tried to go as high as possible to pass him on the windward side, but I crashed into the end of his boom. Somehow during all these few seconds he didn't saw me, or for some reason did not gave me the way. In the end he catapulted and I sailed on top of him and lost the sail. As I am a nice and friendly guy ( or otherwise called just stupid ) I did not protested him because I though that my board is OK and sailed away. At the first mark I was in the end of the fleet. I overtook about 5 guys on the downwind and about 6-7 on the second upwind, finished in 7th place. After finish I decided to look to the bottom of the board, when I saw it I was left stunned - there was one big hole in the middle of the board, I found other two holes, when I sailed back to the beach.
I missed the second race of the day.
After it we had a break. Thus me and my dad ( Thanks so much ) repaired the board with " Quick stick " , " Bubble gum" or whatever else you want to call it.
On third race of the day I made another stupid mistake. When I saw that starting line is more favorable on port tack I started on it - even the left side was paying off. When I came to the upwind mark I was way back in the fleet. Of course I was flying all the way to the finish, but that was just enough for the 5th place.
Before the 4 th start I said to myself - " 3 bad races in one day is enough".
I was so fired up for the last race that I knew if I will start good I will be thw first. And I did. I got a perfect start, than I choose perfect layline to the upwind mark. So there I had 100 meter lead, which I extended on the downwind leg. I had a bullet in my pocket going straight to the upwind mark. When suddenly from nowhere came jury boat and cancelled the race. Probably because it was time to have coffee break for them. It took me a few minutes to realize that for some of the guys there was not enough wind. Actually the wind started going down and it was almoust clear that the race is over for today. Because forecast wasn't showing any wind for the afternoon.
Results:
7 - DNS - 5 - stolen bullet and broken board

Overall:
1 - BRA 767 - 7 points
2 - POL 013 - 8 points
3 - LTU 799 - 15 points
4 - DEN 26 - 16 points
5 - EST 36 - 20 points

Janis Preiss is leading Master fleet.

What I learned from today - protest everyone that touches you.

No comments:

Post a Comment