Saturday 2 June 2012

Polish Open Day 2

Another windy, shifty and unpredictable day here in Sopot. The difference from yeasterday was the chop - one bigger wave from the sea ( up to 1 meter high) and the wind chop. Together they created very nasty water.
Another difference was that most of the guys were using 10meter sails.

There were 3 races today. All of them were done in 3 to 16 m/s shifty wind.
I was totaly lost in the suddenly changing shifts and the instability in the strength of the wind. In the first race I finished 17th and in the second 19th.
The third race is worth a book to be written about it. At first half of the fleet was late to the start - fortunately it wasn't me.
The first upwind was normal: wind shifting back and forth for about 20-40 degrees. Sometimes you are stand without the hope to plan, but the other second you are flying in 15 m/s strong wind - this is normal.

But when I took the first mark the wind shifted almost 90 degrees. On one tack I went to the downwind mark, on other straight to the upwind mark. Because of that half of the fleet was late to the start I finished 11th.
Now after 7 races I am in 14th place.

P.S all the day the temperature is between 6-10 degrees and it is raining a few times in every hour. The felt temperature is near 0 - perfect just like in Sylt.
I am starting to think that I won't experience real summer this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment