Friday 1 June 2012

Polish Open Day 1

Hello from sopot!
Me, Karolis LTU 1001, Giedrius LTU 11 and Mindaugas LTU 646 are fighting with strong winds and strange shifts here.
The wind was side-offshore today acompanied with small chop.
Today we had 4 races back to back. When I sailed out for the first time the wind seemed to be strong (about 7-8 m/s) so I went back to the shore to adjust my equipment for high winds. But when the heat started the wind dropped and I was hardly planning. The distance was very close to the shore so the wind was very shifty. I messed up and finished 17th.
After the race I decided to adjust my sail and mastfoot for lighter winds, but when I came back on course the wind was strong again - I guess it could be up to 12 meters per second. Nevertheless I focused, didn't make any mistakes, had a good start and finished 8th. The next race was similar to the 2nd. Just this time on the second lap I went to the wrong side and finished 13th.
However the most exciting race was the 4th. With the gusts reaching up to 15m/s (28 knots), no one was feeling comfortably.
I think just 50% sailors crossed the starting line on time. Others including me and all lithuanian team were taking a swim. When I started going I though that I will go straight to the shore,but after I realized that 90% of the fleet is getting airborn I decided to continue racing. Without bathing and making tactical mistakes I managed to climb up to the 8th place.
All in all after 4 races I am standing 12th overall, 2nd youth and 1st lithuanian.


No comments:

Post a Comment