Monday 7 May 2012

5 days in Nida!

Aloha everyone! Looks like we hadn't met for ages. Not until now!

Here is a quick review from a pure heaven which consists of 4 letters - Nida!







And it begins...



On the 2nd of May me and my always happy, smiling and full of heavy loaded jokes fellow Šarūnas Danilavičius, also known as - Šaras, packed our Formula/Slalom gear and head out to Nida, one of the most breath-taking places in Lithuania.
Armed with a colossal hunger to windsurf and quite promising forecasts we were super enthusiastic about our trip from the early minutes.






In the evening we reached our destination surrounded by the Baltic Sea and Kuršių Marios. It was obvious that the desire to immerse our equipment into the water and get planning was immense. Unfortunately, that stunning 1m/s wind didn't pump us with adrenalin and we ended the first day with a hope to have some more thrilling action on the following day.

The next day, after opening my eyes I passively grabbed my phone and checked the forecast. The first thing that made me happy that morning was a decent wind forecast which was promising superb FW conditions in about 6m/s.

After having a champion's breakfast me and Šaras head out to the north beach of Nida (Baltic Sea shore). What I saw there I remember clearly until this moment. I just couldn't believe of what I have seen. I stood in the amazement and watched how calm and windless the sea was. There was no wind at all, not a single gust or water wimple.

Okai, we decided to take a spot in the sea-bank and wait for a perfect breeze to come in. As much as ridiculous it may sound we waited for about 4 - 5hours. The wind didn't show up. After a few moments we saw a superficial wimple wimple on the Baltic Sea surface and that was more than enough. We rigged our gear, put our blasting FW fins into our boards and went to the sea to show some pro action! Ye, the action was, just not pro... It turned out that those water wimples were caused by the wind gusts which probably didn't reached the maximum speed of 2m/s. I am proud to say - we failed.

The same day we went for some sightseeing and here is some photos:


























And so, the Friday sun raised above the horizon and it was another day to start it all over again. Not wasting any time I turned on meteo.lt forecast, checked it twice, then turned on windguru.cz - checked it three-times and I started to smile. Constant 6-7m/s with a few malign rain drops! Could it be any better?

So, we packed our stuff and went from Preila to Nida to show locals how to rock ! At least we thought so...
When we came, the wind was on-shore and the conditions were very light for Formula. Ye, we thought, one more day rigging and de-rigging without going on the water and having some proper session?! Bullsh*t.



With our huge expectations and enthusiasm ahead we left the shore to take what we were waiting, dreaming and expecting for - at least few seconds of planning! Ironically, about 10 minutes after leaving the shore the wind dropped a little. Now we were sailing not in 2-3 m/s but in the full, whole and gusty 1 m/s! Damn, I thought, could it be any worse?! Of course it can ! How about pouring rain? Ye, wonderful! Soaking wet and not extremely happy me and Šaras came back to where we launched and desperately sat on the wooden bench. At least the tea was tasty...

The next day we had a plan to go for a walking-trip with 9 other people around Neringa, sleep out in the nature in front of the clear sky and enjoy the taste of freedom, wildness and pure elements of nature. I could say I had a great experience, even though in the night time it was freezing cold. So cold that the only thing that kept us warm was a shivering, shaking and chattering of teeth. But on the whole, I met exclusively interesting people, saw hell a lot of breath-taking places and had an unique experience!

Looking on the bright side of the trip, the last day we were pleased to feel a decent slalom wind! It was constant, strong and you know, it was! Of course every advantage has its negative aspects... This time, the last day was reserved for packing our stuff and gear and for journey back to Kaunas.




But still, I can't be happier than I am now because Nida is such a dazzling and marvelous place that I would love to stay there even though there wouldn't be any wind! I strongly recommend everyone to go there to feel the harmony, calmness and positiveness that Nida would definitely enrich you with.

That's all for now.
Keep reading, keep exploring and keep checking the blog for further updates!

Take care,
Big B.







Very soon in Lithuanian!






No comments:

Post a Comment