Saturday 12 May 2012

Lithuanian cup, Nida!

Aloha fellas!

Here we are again in Nida for the RS:X Lithuanian cup. I am proud to announce that this time we even had some wind what is unusual for this discipline!

So here is a quick review about my latest experiences straight from windy Kuršių marios.

Have a seat and enjoy!



Let's race!



The day of the competition started with superb breakfast, pretty warm and windy weather and, of course, with a marvelous company of friends. Seemed like the perfect start for some thrilling action!

When we came to the Nida's yacht-club the conditions on the racing field made me elaborated. We were pleased to feel a nice 6-8m/s breeze which means no hardcore and exhausting pumping. Hell ye!

We rigged our 9.5 m2 sails and prepared our boards for some nice planning conditions.


The first start was perfect as I started in the most upwind position. Some time later I put my biggest rival Paulius Voverys LTU 718 in my shadow but, unfortunately, was harshly taken out by 2 leaders - strong wind sensei Juozas Bernotas LTU 14 and experienced all rounded Martynas Juodeska LTU 1. We have had to complete quite a big distance so I was still positive being in the 3rd place as everything was ahead and still to come.

I reached the first upwind mark 3rd and maintained this position until the first lap end. 2 more laps were still to come so I couldn't relax. Anyway, these 2 more laps went quite similar and nothing changed except the distance between all sailors. Finished 3rd.

Second race - horrible start. Not only I got in the shadow of all four sailors but it also seemed that I got into a dark hole of messy water and wind holes. I had to pop my board quite a lot downwind to feel a fresh wind again. And I did so. Unfortunately, I lost a great deal of distance and had to retain it at any cost. I was trying hard and pumped until exhaustion in the downwind leg and still was the last of 4 sailors! Damn, I thought, I can't finish like this. As we reached the last downwind mark what we should have done was to go for 1 more lap. To my surprise I saw 2 guys - Juozas and Martynas - just above the finishing line waiting for me and Paulius to end the race. I quickly made a tack and head for the finish line. Luckily, Paulius Voverys LTU 718 hadn't noticed that what led me take the 3rd place easily. As we later find out the distance was shortened, so instead of 3 enormous laps we had to complete 2.

Last race was quite dramatic. I made an average start with Martynas Juodeska LTU 1 and Juozas Bernotas LTU 14 ahead and Paulius Voverys LTU 718 slightly behind me. Everything was going OK, I was keeping the warm 3rd place until the first upwind mark. But then Paulius turned on his secret turbo boost and somehow killed me at the end of half wind course.. I felt quite desperate as I couldn't do anything to overcome him. It was obvious that the wind was dropping and it was getting harder to keep comfortably planning. I came to the downwind half wind last and I was pleased to admire the view of 3 other sailors ahead me... I knew that I could still retake my previous 3rd place. And so, when we reached the last downwind mark the wind started to turn and completely died off. From nearly 5m/s we were left in the Kuršių Marios with 2m/s...
I took advantage of the wind turn and overtook my fierce rival Paulius Voverys LTU 718. I made some pumps on the second lap and that was more than enough for me to remain 3rd place.

I was not even talking about the first Lithuanian RS:X sailor to get into the Olympic Games - Juozas Bernotas LTU 14 - who was just unstoppable and stunningly fast! I couldn't even think of keeping up with his messed water...
And then comes the second place owner Martynas Juodeska LTU 1 which whom I could maximum race until first up wind mark. After that - as ta la vista baby...

All things counted, the whole thrill and racing action was between me and Paulius Voverys LTU 718. It was more than breath-taking to race against him. I had some great moments, astounding action and hell a lot of fun!

Results:
1. Juozas Bernotas LTU 14
2. Martynas Juodeška LTU 1
3. Arnas Bušmanas LTU 191
4. Paulius Voverys LTU 718

That's it for today. Keep checking the blog for further updates and unforgettable experiences!

Take care,
Arnas


1 comment:

  1. Spectacular blog, just couldn't get my eyes out of it for a second. Extraordinary style of writing. Good luck writing such blogs, bro.

    M.R.

    ReplyDelete