Monday 22 August 2011

Kaunas Championship, Last day

Ola amigos!

Just after the sun raised above the horizon the last day of racing began.
Today we had a nice breeze coming from  NW which was from 3 to 5-6 m/s  and luckily no heavy rain at all. 3 races were planned to be made and I was really determined to maintain the 1st place in overall.

We rigged our viper sails, polished viper boards and went out on the water.

It wasn't hard to notice that the wind dropped a lot comparing to the day before and I knew I will have to deliver some extra pumping due to the light wind conditions.


During the first race the wind was shifting a lot and the gusts were appearing in different areas so it seemed like a lottery. I chose to sail in the middle of racing area as it seemed most gusty. Unfortunately, sailors who kept going to the right just after the start won a big prize - nice gust which took them straight to the mark. I saw how 5 sailors passed in front of me and I really started to worry about what is going to be next. The first downwind leg was 50/50 as I took out 1 or 2 sailors, but 3 were still left so I knew it will be quite a challenge. Of course there is always a second downwind for a second chance. Just after the top mark I was 4th but it didn't take long until I caught a super gust and took out 3 sailors with a huge advantage as I was the only one who planned. Thanks to that gust I added 1 more point to my overall results. Finished 1st.


Second race wasn't going as I expected as the wind dropped a lot and started shifting even more. It was a hard battle between me and twin sisters Dalia and Austėja Zykutės who are light wind masters. I didn't reach the upwind mark first but I was hoping to show some magic skills on downwind. To my despair, wind gusts weren't so strong as I expected and I didn't manage to take a lead. First time in these races I finished 2nd.

In the last race I was feeling very calm and chill as I  was sure that 1st place is waiting for me anyway. This time I took the upwind mark first with Austėja Zykutė breathing in my back. She took me out on the half wind leg and her sister almost put me in her shadow so I had to give extra horse powers to maintain my position. I started the downwind leg second and got downwind first but in some miraculous way Dalia Zykutė killed me in the second upwind with a way more better angle and speed. I was confused as I was getting behind quite quickly. Anyway, to make things worse on the last half wind other twin sister passed just through my nose and I finished 3rd.
Congratulations to Zykutės power as they showed a real class in the last 2 races.

In overall:
1.Arnas Bušmanas - 7 points
2. Paulius Satkauskas -16 points
3. Vytautas Celėšius - 20 points


Thanks for all sailors of making a really nice and exciting competition. See you soon!

Let the wind howl!












1 comment:

  1. Fainai parašei. Jei aš turėčiau tiek užsidegimo-irgi atvaryčiau pirmam trejetuke. Šaunuolis :)

    ReplyDelete