Saturday 20 August 2011

Kaunas championship, Day 1

What's up?

Today I had a nice racing day in quite rash weather conditions.
This time I was sailing with vipers and did really well in all 4 races.
That was not so easy as I expected, as young guns who are sailing with vipers are improving in huge paces. This time we had an enormous load of rain and a lovely wind blowing from 6 to 10/12 m/s.



In the first race just after making a nice start I managed to keep my way clear of other sailors until the very end and with pouring rain and blowing wind ahead finished 1st.

Second race also started with plausible start. After some unexpected wind shifts and gusts I reached the windward mark 3rd and had to fight back those positions. So, armed with stamina and will to take the lead I took out 2 sailors ahead me in the downwind leg and maintained this warm position until the finishing line. Came 1st.

Just because the rain had calmed down a little bit the third race started in lower wind, so I had to pump a little bit to get a nice fresh wind just after the start signal. After taking a lead I made a tack with a view to get stronger gusts on the right side. Unfortunately, sailors who kept going after my tack won a lot. As the wind shifted again and started to share gusts from the left side. I could only watch how 4 sailors reached the upwind mark faster than me. This time I almost brake my boom when trying to catch them. Luckily, on the half wind leg I took out 2 sailors and 2 were left for dessert on the downwind leg. Again, finished 1st with a comfortable lead.

In the 4th race the wind leveled out and we had a chance to keep going without pumping. This time sailors separated and it was hard to see who is going to take a lead after reaching the upwind mark. Again, I did some mistakes in the first windward leg and reached the buoy 3rd. I had a strong feeling that I could also be 1st this time, so without spending precious time I again, started pumping. (I noticed that apart from other boards with vipers you can go faster while pumping even though you are planning with no doubts) After half wind and leeward legs I managed to take out 2 top sailors of the race and easily maintained this position until the end. Crossed the finished line 1st.


Thanks for all sailors who made these races exciting! Can't wait to race with you guys and girls tomorrow. :)

Results after 4 races:
1. Arnas Busmanas
2. Paulius Satkauskas
3. Karolis Žakšauskas

Take care!



No comments:

Post a Comment