Tuesday 17 May 2011

RS:X camp Nida, Lithuania RCB cup

Nida... Unforgettable experience..

When the sun raised a little bit above the horizon I, Juozas Bernotas, Gintas Bernotas, Martynas Juodeska, Monika Juodeskaite and our RS:X rigs were on our way to the Nida. We left Kaunas on Monday morning and I was really excited to visit Nida as it would have been my first time there ever. I had a lot of expectations ahead and briefly I was pop-eyed when I got there. Not to mention the fact that I was amazed by the sea-banks of Nida it was unforgettable pleasure to windsurfing on the west coast of Kursiu Marios.



Luckily, we had a fantastic weather during the camp and wind almost everyday what made our RS:X camp even more amusing. It was a great chance to regain some skills which were lost during the winter before the RCB cup. It was amazing that we were planning 3 days out of 4, but on the other hand I haven't got a chance to re-boost my light wind skills.

Maybe because of the summer season that wasn't started yet or due to the fact that it was too cold for holidaymakers to rest I was pleased of harmony and quietness of the city. Other sailors were extremely friendly and helpful, always smiling and happy. Thanks to them! :)
Every morning after waking up about 9 o'clock I was taking a cup of wonderful black tea and just chilling with a book in my hands. It was something special to feel the light morning breeze and look at the rising sun with the Nida sea-banks in front. Yup, I could call it the perfect morning :)

We had 1 day of rest before the RCB cup, so we decided to visit the famous sea-banks. To make a long story short I was just shocked. The view was magnificent. It was nice to see the spread sand hills which delivered positive feelings and I truly felt that it was thousand times better to be surrounded by nature than by the urban city and busy streets.

While about windsurfing, I couldn't wait for the competition to be started as I thought I was fully prepared. The weather forecast was promising a comfortable ride in harness so I didn't bother worrying about pumping much at the RCB cup. During the camp training I tuned my 9.5m2 RS:X sail quite well and had a sense of self-confident.

We had:

  • 1 day of really strong wind (more than 8m/s)
  • 3 days of light wind (3-6m/s). 
     
Of course it would have been wonderful if the wind would have continued as the second day (more than 8m/s), but unfortunately it didn't. That gave a lot of chances for Vytautas Celesius from Vilnius to promote to the 3rd place. Except the second day, when only I, Juozas Bernotas LTU 14 and Martynas LTU 1 had finished 3 races (others didn't due to howling wind), I had an intense fight with Vytautas for the last podium place. I had difficulties while trying to beat him in the races with light wind cause he was using his Mistral One-Design and I was armed with RS:X. When the last day of the competition came I was determined and fired to win the 3rd place because I needed only one single race to win against him to be the 3rd. I was pumping monstrously and very often and I noticed that I'm going with the same speed as him only while doing that. If only I had planned in the half wind or downwind courses I would have definitely been 3rd, but I just couldn't get my board fly. I put a lot of effort and didn't give up until the very end but Vytautas Celesius always managed to get in front of me and finish in a better position. To my sadness I lost 3rd place..... I was very angry and disappointed on myself as in competitions before I didn't have any difficulties in beating him (I was also using Mistral One-Design then) and now when I was using other board I guess I have just written-off him from my opponents list too early and that may gave birth to the shameful 4th place...

I have also noticed that young guns with Vipers (Trainer: Darius Daraska) have improved their skills quite a lot in the past season. Sometimes they reached the upper mark in front of me and it was glad to see their improvement. I'm really looking forward until they upgrade their skills even more and as a result, we will have a way more action in the fleets. Keep going guys!
Best sailors with Viper gear:
  • Paulius Satkauskas
  • Oskaras Kazlauskas
  • Tadas Vaicys
  • Twin sisters power: Austeja and Dalia Zykutes
  • Diana Scepinaite
  • Mante Voveryte
All in all, I am extremely happy for taking part in this camp and competition. I had a unique time with my friends. I feel that my soul rested there and I am really looking forward to come back there as soon as possible. Also, I can't wait to take a revenge in the next competition against Vytautas Celesius (with Raceboard One-Design this time)!
Congratulations for the first place: Juozas Bernotas LTU 14 and for the second place: Martynas Juodeska LTU 1. These guys were constanstly in top 2 places and yet they are a little bit too fast for me.
But not for long!

Thanks for reading. Take care!

1 comment:

  1. Tik mergos plauke su viperiais..Visi kiti su mistraliais..Nes butu visai kitaip rezultatu lentele atrodzius manau :))))))

    ReplyDelete