Monday 16 May 2011

LR Cup

As usually while 'Eurovison' final concert is being held somewhere in Europe in Lithuania, Vente we have Lithuanian Republic windsurfing Cup competition. This year it was a little bit international cause brothers latvians (Janis Preiss LAT 23, Janis Rencis LAT 0, Richards Omanbriedis LAT 48 and Maris Ozols LAT 40) decided to compete in our Cup instead of watching 'Eurovision' at home (better they would have watched it, because now they have stolen 2 podium places). All in all 5 Formula Windsurfing heats were sailed - 4 on Saturday, 1 on Sunday. Results:
1. Janis Preiss LAT 23
2. Mantas Gresevicius LTU 13
3. Janis Rencis LAT 0
this time I've got the worst place:
4. Rytis Jasiunas LTU 799

To begin with I would like to say a BIG THANKS for organisers. I think first time in Lithuania there were no delays for races. Organisers said that starting procedure will begin at 11.00 and it has begun so. Lithuanians weren't used to such punctuality thus a lot of them were late to the starting line.
Secondly I would like to mention that a lot of guys have showed of their brand new weapons. To be precise Severne team has finally got their sails, - me to. The new Severne Reflex II looked super good on land: deep profile, nicely opened leech and super bright red colour - like a Ferrari. Everything seemed to be perfect. I was looking forward to test in on water. To cut long story short - very stable, but a little bit heavier than last year one (more about this sail in next article).
I won't go deeply into details of every heat, I will just overview most important things and events. During all heats the wind was W-SW direction 5-8m/s strong.
It was always more beneficial to start on port tack rather than Starboard. I was always doing it, just not very successfully. Even I have been windsurfing for 9 years by now I don't have a lot of experience in FW starts, especially port tack starts. As you have to let through all starboard tack starters it is getting really difficult to get through the starting line on time, without crashing and loosing height and speed. After half of the starts I got into wind shadow of other sailors, just because they were more aggressive and precise while starting. Afterwards I always had to fight back all positions. Usually I was around 4th position near the first mark - sometimes better, sometimes worse. I have to practise really much how to make better starts.
I won't talk about Janis Preiss much, because he was clearly the best in the fleet, even though he finished to heats in 2 position. With his enormous big Gaastra Vapor sail's profile, he was going really faster than anyone other just he made some tactical mistakes. I guess he was just tuning his equipment and getting ready for Baltic Cup which will take place in Vente after 2 weeks.
Mantas Gresevicius was the best from Lithuanians. The new Reflex seems to have fitted him very well. Just next time he should be faster when changing sails, - he missed one start after break because he was changing sails.
Most of the time I was fighting with Janis Rencis in front of me and Giedrius Liutkus changing with Karolis Sipavicius behind me.
A small surprise for me was Audrius Menkevicus. For the last few years he was mainly training and competing just in slalom discipline, but he has made a successful come back (during the first heat he overtook me and he took 8th place in overall) and I hope that he will continue to participate in FW discipline.
Thats about LR Cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment