Tuesday 3 May 2011

Kaunas Season Open - RCB Day 2

When I first arrived at Kaunas Yacht-club in the morning I though there wouldn't be any starts that day because the wind wasn't showing any signs of life. So I took the chair, put it near the water and began chilling. I was also mentally preparing to be the first one because the current 2nd place was just not enough for me. Some minutes later the wind started shaking the leaves and I realized that finally there would be some starts that day.

I rigged the same 9.0 sail, prepared my rocket called Mistral One-Design and was waiting for the race to take place. I knew that I had to push my self hard to be the first one. Therefore, I believed I was prepared.







That day there were no FW races as a lot of guys went to Ventaine to chase more catchy wind. But there were young guns with vipers who is making a huge progress quite fast!

In RCB discipline there were 4th races overall on Sunday and the wind direction was changing as much as the day before. Generally the wind was coming from North-East and from time to time turned to straight East or North.

          After the first start signal I started from the port tack due to the wind coming more from North. At first I was in the third place but soon after several powerful pumps I promoted to the second place. I knew that if I remain in the second place it would be as same as the day before and I won't finish first, so I stepped into the foot-straps and started pumping even more massively. Again Martynas wasn't sleeping and he also began pumping. I took the upwind mark second with Martynas LTU 1 ahead and Paulius LTU 718 behind. It was clearly understandable that that day not only I couldn't let Paulius to overcome me but also I was determined to leave Martynas in the second place. In the downwind course I made some troubles for Martynas as I visibly got near him and I was hoping to take him out in the second lap but, however, he didn't made any mistakes and one more time I finished 2nd.

          Even though I started the second race at port tack in the lowermost place I made some boom breaking pumps and got in front with the fresh wind coming from North-East (I was still in the lowest position). After over sailing the windward mark I was looking forward to reach the leeward mark first but originally I started the second lap 2nd. I made some expensive mistakes and it was too hard to retain the first position. In the end crossed the finish line 2nd. (..I'm really getting bored of finishing second..)


          In the third race I made a brilliant start and started first. I not only took the best place but also forced Martynas to make a tack so there were a lot of chances for me to stay in the lead until the end. I reached the upwind mark first, as same as the downwind one. I was really feeling confident because in the past races my and Martynas angle/speed was quite similar and I was sure I will maintain this position until the very end. After making a tack I was about 50 meters higher than Martynas but somehow after going on the starboard tack I lost my whole advantage made through the first lap and we made a last tack before reaching the windward mark at the same spot. The following development of the race was unfavorable for me and I LOST AGAIN... (Congrats to Martynas for recovery :)


          The forth race could be called as a CATACLYSM. It is so hard to find words to describe it. From nowhere the wind suddenly turned to South and increased up to 7m/s. The sky turned black and the rain started pouring. The whole fun began when the judges remained the same distance. In short, the fourth race was Slalom with One-Designs. I think I couldn't make worse start than I made in that race, because when the start signal came up my sail was laying down in the water in front of the start. I think that was my fatal mistake because everyone started delayed and if only I had started with the start signal I would have definitely finished 1st. I took the  (this time downwind) mark, third and was hoping to retrieve positions in a course which was slightly upwind. However, I promoted to the second place when Paulius had trouble with his dagger-board and jumped into the water to fix it. On my way to the downwind mark nothing unexpected happened but still I was hoping that this time Martynas would definitely fall somewhere >:) and I will be the first. But mistakes and troubles didn't find him and I remained as everyone already knows - 2nd. 



That's how the final day of the competition ended. I would really like to say thanks to Darius Daraska (judge) and for all competitors for making this competition exciting. I am really waiting for more dramatic contests and hoping do not even hear the word - second - next time. See you soon. Take care!

Let the wind howl and the waves roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment