Saturday 30 April 2011

Kaunas season opening - FW

The forecast wasn't perfect for Saturday, but it was even worse for Sunday, thus organizers tried to do their best. The wind was very very very gusty. From 2 up to 10 meters, changing very often and very suddenly. There were 2 and a half race's done. 2 and a half because during the last race we have made only 1 lap, because of the lack of wind.
As always during Kaunas season opening we were not alone in the water, there were many kind of sailing boats as well as raceboards and group of kids racing on Fanatic Vipers. So it was a real mess out there. Because of that the distance was really strange and not usual.

The second important thing about this competition- it was very physically exhausting. If you have wanted to take a good place you had to pump a lot. You had to pump during the start (all three starts were made from non - planning positions), you had to pump after each tack or gybe, you had to pump to go through the holes, you had to pump to get through the upwind mark, you had to pump during the downwind leg, to go faster and in better angle. All in all you just had to pump... and think...and watch for gusts... oh and you had not to forget your stance... and one more thing you had not to fall and not to make any mistakes... just that and you are the first one.
Giedrius Liutkus LTU 11 did it. He was 1st in all races - today he was unbeatable. Mantas Gresevicius LTU 13 was also very fast, but he was always making some small mistakes, which let Giedrius to overtake him. I was also fast (I hope it wasn't just good luck), but I was making bigger mistakes than Mantas. The main mistake was finish, I wasn't used to finish while going upwind, so Mantas has overtaken me on finish line for 2 times. I have left 3rd, it's podium position so I am happy about my result.
During the first start I have decided to cross the finish line at full speed, but unfortunately the wind has ended 30 meters before the starting line. I was trying to keep the board planing, but I have stopped directly on the starting line. Luckily other guys haven't managed to plane at all. After few seconds new gust came and all fleet flew away (with me and Mantas in front :) The beginning of the race was really promising, but I turned around a bit too early. As a result of that I have had to make 2 tacks more and Karolis LTU 1001 and Giedrius LTU 11 have overtaken me. Karolis has made some mistakes so I have overtaken him but Giedrius and Mantas were to fast for me.
During second and third races I was doing raceboard start. I was standing on the line as close to the mark as possible blocking way for everybody to go through. After the starting signal I was pumping as hard as possible and I run away from everybody about 40 meters. I have finished 4th and 3rd.
All in all we had very exciting and unpredictable race today. I enjoyed it - to catch gusts and to overtake heavier guys who very standing without a hope to plane. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment