Saturday 4 April 2015

Training Day 5 in Azores

Today we got some really nasty conditions. 12 to lets say 28 knots, super gusty and super shifty. All the guys started going out on 10s as I decided to stay on the beach for a bit and relax. I didn't want to go out on 10.7 crash around and break equipment or worsen my wrist injury which came back two days ago.Anyway, on one of the first runs Arnon Dagan broke his mast, at the bottom of the harbour, luckily the organizers were quick to react and sent him a rescue boat. A bit later Steve Allen broke a mast in the equipment tent. At the end of day Sebastien Koerdel hit smth in the water and broke his finbox and damaged his fin.




As for the fastest guys it seemed like Gonzalo Costa Hoevel was the fastest one again. However, after changing masts and fins for the whole day Janis Preiss became much quicker. Arnon, Casper Bauman, Steve and Hubert were looking fast as well. All of them were testing different set ups all day long.
In the afternoon Steve and Hubert decided to go out on 10.7 and seemed to be handling the situation so I decided to do a quick run with my 10.7 as well (I don't have anything smaller here). Unfortunately, I wasn't focused enough I took a different mast than last time, downhauled to the same spec and went out without checking anything. The sail was completely overdownhauled and super twitchy. Janis gave me an ELK fin to try so I was on a completely new set up. I managed to sail up and down but I was slow as a dog due to the twitchy sail. Nevertheless, the fin felt quite nice. I was using a 71 S--, but it felt more predictable than mine Z or Boss fins. Will have to try it again tomorrow. At the end of the day my goal for today was to see if I can SAIL (like back and forward) in these conditions on 10.7
Check out all the pictures I took while I wasn't sailing.














No comments:

Post a Comment