Saturday 16 April 2011

'Vejas galvoje' - Spring tour I

Finally the season in Lithuania has been opened with competition. Today we have had really good FW conditions. The wind was a bit gusty, but it was even more interesting to race because of that. You  had to be very concentrated all the time in order to see and catch the gusts.
In the skippers meeting we also celebrated 'Vejas galvoje' windsurfing club's 14th birthday and then jury went on explaining the distance. Everything was different than normally. All marks had to be taken by port tack.
My dad has decided to use his 11.0 Severne Code Red so I have had to use 10.0 Severne Code Red, but now when I am 75kg this sail is a bit to small for me in light wind. Luckily, Gedaiminas LTU 76 has borrowed me last year Sverne Reflex 11.0. Although it is widely believed that last year Severne Formula sails are bad, this one was much better than my 10. But it was not as good as other 11.0 sails. It was very hard to pump for me with that sail, because this sail seems to be very flexible.

There have been 4 races today, 2+2. During the first one I decided to start on port tack, but it was a mistake. I have lost many positions, but during the downwind course and the second lap I have managed to fight back to the 4th position.
During the second start I have been covered by many other sailors so I had to make a tack and again to go to the left side on port tack. I was somewhere near the end of the fleet near the first mark. I have been doing my best to fight back, but I only managed to finish in 7th place.
After the break I decided to start on Starboard tack. Both times I have done this very successfully and I was first or second on the first mark. In the first race I have gone to the wrong side while going downwind so near the downwind mark I was 5-7th. But then I have caught some nice gusts and I have taken the upwind mark first. I have hold that position to the end.
During the 4th race I have been going in the first position all the time, but Gediminas has overtaken me in the last downwind course, because I was totally exhausted. I have finished 2nd.
To sum up everything I am happy with my result, because I was using the sail for the first time and she has taken from me a lot of energy, because it was so hard to pump with her...pufff.
What about other sailors?
Gintas LTU 89 has been going very well during first 2 races, he is really good on catching gusts and he has very good speed too.
Gedas LTU 76 has not very good angle and speed while going upwind, but he knows some magic words :). It  always seems that the good wind appears there where he is. He has very good downwind speed as well.
Giedrius LTU 11 and Karolis LTU 1001 are very similar to each other. They have the best upwind angle and speed in the fleet, but both of them have to work on tactics.
My dad Arnas LTU 799 was going very good almost all the time, -his upwind angle is one of the best in the fleet as well. Except those times that he was making BIG mistakes.:)
The beginer of the competition is Arnas Busmanas (no number). He wasn't in the lead, but he was racing really good how for his first competition.
What about me:
I am like average of all others. Good angle and speed, good tactics, good physical condition, - but nothing is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment