Wednesday 8 April 2015

Formula Worlds, Day 1

We had 4 races today in 7 to 25 knots wind, and 2.5m swell. The swell was a bit smaller than yesterday, but I got to know that in the boat they measured the wave up to 3.5m yesterday (at least so I heard). The conditions were super tricky. I went on 10.7 as did most of the guys, some choose to go with 10s.

1st race I got quite a good start on starboard tack at the pin end, and after the tack was coming into the top gate in TOP 10 position. However, I got into a hole and stopped 10 meters to the mark. A few people around me stopped as well. Then Janis Preiss cam from behind, tried to stop, but unsuccessfully and crashed into the back end of my boom. I went for a swim and he went away, but to be fair the only other option he had was crash into someone else. Plus he apologized afterwards. Anyway, after getting back on the board I felt down once again (not that easy to pick up the bloody sail in 2.5 meter wave with guys passing all around you). Then I had to go back up to the mark and I was taking it one place before the last. During the 3 lap course I gained back a few places then lost a few and finished 24th in the end.


Second race, got off the line quite well again. And then on the first tack my start watch clipped off and fell in the water. *&^%$*("£ . So I had to jump in again and fish it out. Guess what? One or to places before last at the top mark again.
In the 3rd race, after the break, I made a mistake to try and go on starboard pin end start and go to the shore - there was no wind. I went the furthest and I lost the most. Followed by a few stupid mistakes in the later laps meant that I finished in a shameful 27th place. 
Last race, started even worse I got a terrible start on port tack. And then I decided to just sail for fun. Imagine my surprise when I saw Arnon Dagan next to me at the top mark in the second lap (smth obviously went very wrong for him). I continued sailing more or less relaxed for the rest of the race and finished in a bit less shameful 22nd place.
All in all, the worst racing day in my life. It is not the result I am angry about but my sailing. Hopefully gonna do better tomorrow. Although, me feet have a few nasty wounds from footsraps and my wrist pain is only getting worse, but I guess I will just have push through it.
Unfortunately, I was so far behind the leaders that I didn't really see what was happening at the front - so can't comment on that.





No comments:

Post a Comment