Thursday 3 July 2014

NEW VISION CUP - Nida 2014

Hello hello hello!

I am more than excited and can't wait to tell you about the NEW VISION CUP 2014, which took place in June 21st- 24th . Just last weekend we had an amazing competition held in Nida which was organized by Vėjas Galvoje. Thanks for the organizers, you did a great job!

We arrived at Nida at Friday and as soon as we got in place we started rigging our gear. The wind was offshore and according to the forecast was hitting up to 8-9 m/s. Well, as it was not the first time in Nida for me from the coast line I saw that 7.0 m2 sail should be my choice of the day.





To be honest, I was very enthusiastic about that particular day because I really wanted to try out my new ZSL 38 S- fin and wanted to play with the rig specifications itself to get ready for the first day's slalom competition on Saturday.

No time wasted I got my gear rigged up, made some adjustments on the outhal and battens and went out on the water with Paulius Voverys LTU 718 and Audrius Voverys LTU 717. We got a little bit downwind, found some buoys to make some jibes and had a great 2-hour slalom session.

First impressions? ZFS fin was softer and had better top end speed as well as low end performance compared to my Select Elite S07 37 cm which means that I love my new fin. My sail, on the other hand, felt somehow weak and unstable... Too much downhaul tension was the area to pay attention next time.

Anyway, Saturday came and it was clear that wind got a little bit stronger than the day before and I knew that I will use the same gear again (JP Slalom IV 104L 68 width, Simmer SC 7.0m2 2010 and ZFS 38 S-). I felt confident and calm as I trust this combination fully.


On Saturday we had 8 races in overall. In the first 4 races I felt that I had good starts and good speed therefore finished 4th, 3th, 2nd, 5th (making some silly mistakes on the 4th race). I was quite satisfied and actually wanted to maintain this kind of pace. 






After the break mistakes I made doubled and it could be seen in the results as I finished 8th, 7th, 10th, 6th... I should have considered taking my 7.7 Avanti M1X after the brake as the wind got a little bit weaker and sometimes I just couldn't get in full power speed.







The second day was The Chill Day - no wind, no races, just chilling, chatting, having fun and enjoying the good, sunny weather.

The other day the judges gave starts for Formula races. There, Gedas Gresevičius LTU 76 (Severne/Starboard) took every bullet he could take and was literally unstoppable. Congratulations!



The last day the wind again picked up and we, again, had 8 races to come! Whooohooo! That's exciting I though! Got my Avanti 7.7 M1X rigged up, took my gear and went out to the water. The wind again was offshore so it was kinda tricky what gear to take. I took my biggest one (JP Slalom IV 104L 68 width, AVANTI 7.7 M1X and ZFS 38 S-). You know what? Eventually, it was not big enough :) Everything seemed great, during the gusts and I was satisfied with my speed but actually I needed a bigger gear. We had quite significant wind holes and those who had sails above 8.0 m2 and boards around 120L where the fastest ones. One start I even stayed unplanning for about 20 seconds. Just before the start! Being late 20 seconds! Definitely the race for discard!



So, to make a long story short I finished - 8th, 7th, 6th, 7th, 6th, 8th, 10th, 21st (made a fall start on this one). In general, bigger gear would have been beneficial but it is as it is and I loved every second of that!

The competition went great! Great job for judges, a huge thanks for competitors and can't wait to see you on the racing field again!






-----

Some final remarks to point out that I have understood from this competition:

Don't be afraid to take bigger gear. Just-don't. You will remember this while stopping after making a jybe around the bouy and you will also remember that when you can't go full speed during the wind holes. Just don't be afraid to take bigger gear. Being in full power all the time is essential to go fast and hit the podium in the end.

Also, if you want to be among the best ones in fleet you must learn how to shine in 3 essential areas in slalom racing area. Those are as follow: START - FIRST DOWNWIND LEG - GETTING AROUND THE FIRST MARK. That's vital. That's what I learned from our PWA sailor Karolis Sipavičius LTU 1001 (you can also visit his blog here: Karolis Sipavicius LTU 1001 fan page)




A little bit more about it:

START. Great start gives you clear wind, clear water and let's you go fast without disturbances.

FIRST DOWNWIND LEG - that's where most of the places are awared to the sailors before the race is due. Get the first one to the mark and you will probably maintain this one (if you have nearly the same speed as your competitors) until the end as you will have clear water and control of the crowd. Get the last one or at least in the half of the fleet to the mark and you probably will not get bullet in that race. Simple as that.

GETTING AROUND THE FIRST MARK. Don't be afraid to dive and make the jybe near the buoy. Yes, sometimes there will not be any place left for you but in most cases there is. Dive in that free spot and you will be the most upwind guy, you will probably have some space to make your moves and you will not have someone to go over you to make you stop.

Example: Getting around the first mark --- At 0:21 I am the most upwind with Simmer 7.0 m2 2010 and the red sticker above the boom. I am hitting the mark with the crowd being in 5 place and diving near the mark. Result: I overtook 3 guys who had a long and wide jybe and left the mark being 2nd from the crowd. Easy, huh? Be brave, just don't hurt your competitors during the dive - equipment costs a lot of money!


Ok guys, that's it for now. Stay fresh, keep or start windsurfing and enjoy the summer!
Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment