Tuesday 9 July 2013

FW Worlds Day 1

On the first day of racing here, in Viganj, there were 2 races completed for the Yellow fleet and one race for the Blue fleet. The wind was very light through all of the races, - around 7-10knots.
In the Yellow fleet Casper Bouman (not sure about the spelling) NED 52 was absolutely flying. He took two bullets with an amazing lead. Other guys on TOP were: Janis Preiss LAT 23, Ross Williams GBR 83, Michail Polanowski POL 16 and super lightweight who was sailing on 10,7 Miguel Martinho POR 5.

Now about myself. As I am youth I was sailing on 10,7 sail. Wich was quite enough on the upwind, however, dead slow on the downwind.
On the first race I had a bad start on port. I tried to start near the pin, but I was too slow and a bit too late. So Maciek Rutkowski killed me, and later I was falling deeper and deeper in to the shadow of others. Of course I lost a lot of places in the downwind which I later recovered in the upwind. In the end I finished 20th.
On the second race I had a great starboard start. That means that Casper killed me just after 500m. I was 3rd at the first mark. Unfortunately Jannis Preiss and Michail Polanowski overtook me on the downwind. I was fighting with Marco Begali on the upwind. He got away on the last downwind and I also got overtaken by Miguel Martinho. I finished in 7th place and I am very happy about it.

Arvydas LTU 789 finished in 17th and 30th.
Paulius LTU 718 had a great second race finishing 25th. Unfortunately his sail has been toren inside the pocket.
Unfortunately I do not remember the results of other lithuanians in the yellow fleet.
You can find the results on formulawindsurfing.org website.

No comments:

Post a Comment