Tuesday 18 September 2012

Lithuanian Formula Championship Day 1, Kintai



Hi fellows!

Second week in a row here we are in Kintai, extreme-sports.lt windsurfing spot, challenging and pushing ourselves to the very limits, trying to beat every guy in the fleet and show who is the best.

This weekend was not an exception. We had 7 wonderful races and were tested in a very different conditions ranging from light wind to really harsh and stormy weather.






I was super excited to try out my new JP Speed and ZE 0 S- fin as I have gained them just a week or two before the competition. 

On the first day we had 4 races let's say in full power with an average wind of about 6-8m/s and maybe up to 10m/s in gusts.

So, you probably wonder how all the races went and what tactics I used in this championship? Here are some moments and experiences I've got to say.





The first race. Wind strength was about 6-7m/s and a little bit more in gusts. Going in full power to the starting line and expecting hell a lot of fun in all upcoming races.



Some moments passed by and here we go, planning along the starting line and waiting until the sweet start signal melody will reach our ears. A few seconds later I've made a really good start and was going more or less in front of everyone but not first. Wow, I though, that's cool, as this was unusual for me in FW discipline. Later on, I chose the right moment to make a tack and hit the right lay line. This let me take the first up wind mark in the top 5. I was really happy and enthusiastic about that. We sailed the whole lap probably in the same positions as we were before reaching the upwind mark. Only in some mysterious way in the last downwind leg Rytis Jasiunas LTU 799 and Mindaugas Kriukelis LTU 646 managed to overcome me and I finished 7th. Still, quite a good result I guess.



Second race was quite the same as the first one, just this time there were no mysteries in the last downwind leg. Everything went smooth, I overtook some guys, some other guys overtook me. Seems fair. Again, finished 7th.



After these 2 races we had a break. Everyone was chattering about the races, telling each other the story about how they could have made something but didn't make it. There were also a lot of good emotions, smiles and laugh along the rest area caused by 2 first races. And to add insult to injury, a wonderful soup was brought by the organizers in the middle of the break. It was a real pleasure!

Ok, good things can't last forever so the break was going to the end and we had to concentrate again. Some guys made a few improvements on their equipment and everyone was sent to the water.




Again the wind was about 7-8m/s in average and everything was pretty much the same as before the break. Just we have eaten a delicious soup. As we were going to the starting line I was really expecting to improve my results at any cost.




So, the flag was up and the starting procedure was commenced. Everyone was taking hot spots, trying to put their rivals in the shadow or at least be in front of them. From that start I clearly remember one thing: how Karolis Sipavičius LTU 1001 nearly killed me by going twice as fast as me and putting me in his shadow. I couldn't do anything as he probably got a lot of space during and start and had a chance to reach a slalom speed. That was strange, I almost got lost. Anyway, that was only one misunderstanding and I kept concentrated until the very end.

You might not believe it but after two laps of racing I still finished 7th. But, as it is said, stability is a sign of professionalism. So, I wasn't upset.

 

During the third race the wind shifted a bit and the judges decided to move the upwind mark a little bit to the left. While we were waiting, an enormous and quite dark cloud was approaching our way. Oh, I though something interesting is going to happen soon. As we were still waiting for the judges the wind increased a bit and that was clearly a sign of huge load of fun during the last race of the day.



After the start everything seemed normal or at least the same as before. But when we reached the upwind mark that cloud started to take action.

The wind increased up to 20-25 knots and we were more or less flying in the down wind leg. What is more, this race was personally by far the best race of that day as I took the upwind mark second and had quite a distance between other sailors. I took the downwind mark second and while going upwind again the wind was at its maximum. My 11.0 m2 Gaastra sail was a little bit too much but I had to survive that somehow as I was going really good. During the upwind course Juozas Bernotas LTU 14 overtook me. What was the fun part, is that I could watch how almost all sailors were blown away while going downwind and it seemed that they were hopeless or desperate due to the harsh wind and rain. I felt satisfied of being able to cope with such vigorous wind and really intense conditions. I crossed the finish line 3rd while a vast majority of group hadn't even started a second lap! What a huge success, I thought.



So, with a huge load of experience and wonderful moments we ended the first day races and went for some grill action in the campsite. Everyone was checking filmed starts, discussed that day's races and was making some reasonable arguments of what should they have done or not done.

To sum up all that happened on the first day of Lithuanian Formula Championship, it was simply unforgettable. A lot of action, tactics and intensity between all sailors. Just a wonderful place to test your skills.

I was super happy about that day and was looking forward to show even greater results for the second day of the competition !

First day results:



Thanks for reading!
See you soon!

Arnas Bušmanas

No comments:

Post a Comment