Friday 18 May 2012

Sylt Day 2

The day started with wave elimination but soon the wind started dropping. Then the formula fleet was set on stand by. After a few postponements and a few tabble football games we were sent out on water.
At that moment the wind has dropped to around 15 knots and the wave was just 2 meters high.
On first race I tried to start on port, - the problem was that there was shorebrake at the pin end. I found a nice ramp and I couldn't resist to try a back loop, unfortunately it didn't went well as I landed in waterstarts position (no backloop) . When I got up everybody was far away. And there was that ***** big nasty chop and as I am not used to sailing in such conditions it was a disaster for me. As this was not enough my starboard tack harness line started breaking, thus I couldn't put my weight on it. At the second upwind mark it broke totally and I had to sail the rest of the course on my hands.
Then I went to the shore to change it, but as I didn't have any more power in my arms I got washed brutally. Succesfully nothing has been destroyed.
I missed the second race because I was still tired, and I came back for the third race. In the second upwind I finally got how to sail in such rough wave and overtook Paulo dos Reiss, even though he got me in the downwind I finished 25th. In overall I am 36th out of 56 sailors.
Unfortunately at the shorebreak after one way hit me and just touched the sail - it broke. One window toren and one crushed batten.
Gedas LTU 76 did much better than me. He hasn't broken his harness, he finished all races and finally after 3 heats he was 20th.

Day 3

The wind is off-shore and light. All racers are on stand-by.


2 comments: