Thursday 28 April 2011

Spring tour I

Aloha everyone!

As everyone know we had a great FW competition on April 16, which was the first one this year made by "Vejas Galvoje". First of all, congratulations to the winners - Gediminas LTU 76, Rytis LTU 799 and Gintas LTU 89.


It was my second FW competition in my life and I was extremely excited to compete with other, much more experienced guys. The wind was coming from North-West direction and was quite gusty. I was using my North Sails Warp 2007 11.0 and F2 VI formula. The average speed of wind was 5-6m/s and for me, as a light weight windsurfer, it should have been the perfect conditions to race but as I have a lack of stench in my angle and speed some problems came up.


I started the first race on Starboard tack due to the wind direction that moment but unfortunately the decision was poor as the wind turned to West. When everyone were carving their formulas from the port tack side I was trying my luck at the right side but with the help of my anti-pro skills I finished 9th.

In second race I have estimated my mistakes and I was loaded with energy to start from the port tack side. This time I had some problems at the start line. Everyone covered me nicely and I had to stay behind. Sailing behind everyone in FW competition is not so fascinating as it could sound because its not a sightseeing race and here fresh wind and clear water are fatal important. Ended 10th.

Third race. I started quite good, catched a fresh breeze and started going with acceleration but again, my angle+speed disappointed me and I got into the shadow of top sailors (Gediminas Gresevičius, Rytis Jasiunas, Giedrius Liutkus, Karolis-Ežys, Gintas Lapėnas and etc.). In down-wind course and second lap I had to push myself hard to regain at least some positions and I could say I retrieved some. This time there was no need for others to wait until I finish as I crossed the finish line 8th.

Fourth race started nearly the same as the third one, just this time I had a better upwind position, fresher wind and water. Even though the start was promising something brighter than the 8th place I made some mistakes due to my lack of experience and I finished 9th.

To contrast everything that was mentioned above, I had incredibly useful experience how to start and how to choose the right sailing course. As far as I am concerned I think my upwind and downwind skills improved for a bit and I hope to gain more vantage in the following races. I am really looking forward to meet those wonderful guys at the start line again.
See you soon, good luck!

2 comments:

  1. Nesumaisei Starboard ir Port tacku pavadinimu?
    Starboardas desiniu ,o port tack tai kairiu.

    ReplyDelete